I usually apply my skincare products between 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. after my shower, but don’t see much improvement. Should I change my skincare time? (Ngan, 25, Tien Giang)

Answer:

As our skin self-repairs, recuperates, and improves when we sleep at night, this is also the time when nutrients from skincare products work the most effectively. Because of that, it will be best to apply skincare products shortly before sleep, somewhere between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Our bodies produce a huge amount of melatonin and HGH (Human Growth Hormone) when we sleep. The former helps repair damages to our skin by replacing dead or damaged cells with new ones, while the latter is responsible for enhancing the process of skin cells regeneration.

What is the best time for skincare? Woman-10
It is best to apply skincare products shortly before sleep, somewhere between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m.
Illustration photo by Freepik

Our skin is not exposed to harmful factors including makeup products, pollution, and UV rays during our sleep. Hence, the evening is the perfect time to take advantage of a complete skincare routine, including makeup removal, face cleansing, exfoliating, toner, antioxidant serum, acne treatments applying, and hydrating with masks.

The number of cells our bodies generate between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. could be twice that of other periods. Because of that, your skin may look noticeably better after only one night of going to bed earlier, and applying skincare products before going to bed will better stimulate the effect.

By Dr. Ngo Thi Ngoc Van
Department of Dermatology,
HCMC University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital